Spicy Baked Chicken Drumsticks
Makes 6 to 8 servings
Most of the housewives like to use chicken drumsticks for this recipe and serve it at parties because they are easy to hold and eat, but you can use other chicken parts or even a whole chicken (see variation below). The chicken drumsticks can also be deep-fried but this recipe provides directions for the healthier alternative of baking it. Be sure to allow time for the chicken to marinate in the spices.
1/2 medium onion, quartered
1 tablespoon soy sauce
1 1/2 tablespoons garlic-ginger paste
1/2 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
1/2 teaspoon garam masala
2 pounds chicken drumsticks
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- Place the onion in a blender or food processor, and process until a rough puree forms. Place the onion in cheesecloth and allow the excess water to drain for about 20 minutes.
- To prepare the marinade,combine the onion with the soy sauce, garlic-ginger paste,cayenne,and garam masala.
- Add the chicken drumsticks and marinate in the refrigerator for 4 to 24 hours.
- Heat the oven to 350°F. Remove each drumstick from the marinade, coat with flour,and place on a baking tray. Bake for 30 to 40 minutes, turning the pieces about halfway through.
- For extra crispiness, place the chicken under the broiler for 2 minutes at the end of the cooking time.
Variation: This recipe can be modified to prepare a whole (5- to 6- pound) chicken as well. Prepare the marinade as instructed above.Cut a few slits in the breast and legs so that the spices will be thoroughly absorbed.Then coat the chicken well with the spice marinade. Bake at 350°F for 1 1/2 to 2 hours,or until a meat thermometer inserted in the meaty part of the thigh reads 180°F.